Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)

Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)

How did GrabTaxi, Instagram, and WhatsApp become mandatory apps people download to their mobile phones?

Many companies have made fortunes off the surge in mobile apps. Apple announced a $10 billion payout to developers in 2014 alone. A lucrative industry that everybody wants to set a foot in. 

But of course, in every circle, there’s always a superstar. With the myriad of choices made available in app stores every day, only 0.01 per cent of mobile apps are considered a financial success by their creators, according to research by Gartner Inc. The other 99.99 per cent of mobile apps are being scrolled over by millions every day.

Something tells me that the limelight of the top charts is more than just hard work and luck. Let’s take a look at what these successful apps have in common: